Pages

Sunday, November 3, 2013

Do We Really Need Graded Tests and Quizzes?

If you are like me, then when a test or quiz is announced you groan. Not because you have no idea about what you learned in class, on the contrary all week you have been participating and doing your work. But it is something about knowing you will be graded that makes your heart beat quicken, your hands all sweaty, and your brain clouded with nervousness. For me it's the worst in math. I have always loved the subject but it has always stressed me out the most. On test day I go in, take the test feeling confident because there were no questions that stumped me. The next day when it is returned, the grade is a 95 or worse a 90. I'me shocked. "Where did I go wrong?" is the only thing that goes through my head. After a quick glance I notice that it was not the concepts that I did messed up in, but that I had written y = ... not f(x)=... or that I did not extend my graph to the end. But are those mistakes so important that my grade should be lowered 5 or 10 points? Is it really okay to give a person an A or A- because they made a silly mistake on a quiz that is only 10 question. It is ridiculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment